Question:
We need to plan for our Hawaii trip this year. What is the best time to get there and what things to consider?
hskulkarnius
2006-01-29 19:29:13 UTC
We are living in San Diego,CA.
Four answers:
2006-01-30 13:27:40 UTC
We went to Hawaii at the beginning of October and it was wonderful. It rained only once and it was at night...not even a hard rain, it lasted about 5 minutes. Otherwise, the weather was great with a tiny bit of humidity. We visited Kauai which was absolutely gorgeous and what I imagined Hawaii to look like. It's a very small island so if you have children, it can get pretty boring for them. But if it's a couples trip, then I recommend it. It's very romantic. We went on a helicopter tour, snuba diving and our luau there. And eat a Puka Dog if you're in Kauai! Then we also went to Maui and that is a gorgeous island too but much more touristy and city-like. After we got off the plane, we immediately saw a giant Krispy Creme shop and car dealerships (definitely nothing like Kauai). If you go to Maui, make sure you take the Road to Hana (in a convertible so you can enjoy all the scenery)...and you'll see the 7 sacred pools. Very gorgeous!

And if you don't like to scuba dive (or don't have your license), you can always go SNUBA diving. Which is a blend of scuba and snorkeling. You get to breath through an apparatus and swim to the bottom as though you are scuba diving. Very Cheap ($40 per person) and it lasted 1.5 hours.
Sports Mom
2006-01-30 12:19:42 UTC
How much relaxing do you want to do? Are you the type to just veg on the beach? If so, a beach resort would be good for you - on any of the islands.

How much sightseeing? If you can't sit still on vacation (that's us), make sure you have a car and head out everywhere you can get to. There are public beaches everywhere for a rest - and lots of secluded areas for a quiet picnic. And make sure you take at least one helicopter ride! We did one on Kauaii..amazing!

How many islands? Last April we did 4 islands. We liked Oahu the least...too commercial. Loved Maui & Kauai - absolutely gorgeous. The Big Island was interesting (stayed in the National Park), but I wouldn't do it again.
bobpegoh
2006-01-30 07:43:06 UTC
Stay away from the wet season. We were there in January in 1990 and it rained hard 7 of 10 days. I'd go in the spring just before school let's out or in the fall after school starts when the crowds are down. Maui is the most beautiful island.
?
2016-11-11 11:27:44 UTC
you will ought to prioritize. Kauai is the least touristy however the great Island has the superb snorkeling. Kauai is super to examine to surf, do lots of hiking and fending off the crowds. the great Island is super for snorkeling, some traveling of appropriate places, orchid farms, volcanoes, fishing, etc, mutually as fending off vast crowds -- Kona is a stunning touristy city no longer a huge city. Maui is seen the main romantic and is the main prevalent for sunning, eating, eating, 20s existence type. Oahu of course has Waikiki, historic web pages and the great city.