Question:
When will the beaches in Waikiki be somewhat sewer free/safe to swim in again?
sunnydays
2006-04-13 15:14:43 UTC
We have a flight booked out on April 21 and i'm wondering if i should buy tickets to one of the other islands rather than staying in Honolulu... the beach was to be our main attraction.
Six answers:
Bogeythedog
2006-04-17 01:46:50 UTC
Waikiki is safe to go swimming already. I just went surfing there today (4/16).
?
2006-04-14 14:48:54 UTC
The posters above voice sound recommendations. As far as the fatality is concerned, the victim fell from his boat which was already in quarantined waters in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor. He opted to neglect the warning signs that had been put up when sewage spilled onto the Ala Wai Canal three weeks ago. The harbor has long since re-opened and subsequent restrictions were lifted by the health department. Nevertheless, Waikiki Beach is, in fact, no longer my beach of choice for entering, wading and swimming due to its crowded nature.
2006-04-13 15:19:05 UTC
Please don't change your tickets. Waikiki beach isn't the beach you want to visit on Oahu anyhow. Go to Kailua and check out Lanikai beach. Always rated in the top 10 beaches of the world. Or hear out west to Ko'olina and enjoy the beaches there. Waikiki beach is typically dirty anyhow. All the sunscreen leaves a film on the water and they're so crowded anyhow. Escape the typical touristy beaches on Oahu. If beach going is what you're interested in, Waikiki shouldn't be on the top of your lists. You can still take in the sights and sounds of Waikiki beach from the sidewalk and enjoy the fun atmosphere, but save your beach memories for truly perfect beaches. Email me at shortbusryders@yahoo.com if you want more info on local attractions and activities. Aloha!
maxwell
2006-04-17 20:57:28 UTC
It depends on what you want, crowds or privacy. The best beach I have found on Oahu is in the Makaha area which is is west of Waikiki by about 40 miles. The water is warm the surf is mild the sand is clean and you can have the whole beach to youself most of the time. Waikiki beach is always crowded. You have to hunt for a place to put your blanket. There are two golf courses within 10 minutes of Makaha. You can get good food there and or golf. Good luck in you quest.
long_duk_dong
2006-04-14 11:31:11 UTC
Either go to the north shore, or pick a different island.

One person died from an infection of flesh-eating bacteria, when he fell in infected waters.

Read the article here:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/08/ln/FP604080336.html

If you just want to lie on the beach, I'm sure you'd be fine. But be careful. There are also plenty of other great activities to do on O'ahu.

Go over the Pali Highway over to Kailua. There are some great beaches over there. You could also rent a kayak and paddle out to some small islands over there.
paki
2006-04-14 07:31:27 UTC
The beach in front of Royal Hawaiian hotel is clear, we have some beaches that are now safe. There are plent places to swim on Oahu