Question:
Does anyone know about Norwegian Cruise Lines? Is their cruise to Hawaii any good?
johannarb
2006-02-23 13:17:35 UTC
Does anyone know about Norwegian Cruise Lines? Is their cruise to Hawaii any good?
Four answers:
tech_fanatic
2006-02-23 13:26:17 UTC
EDIT: You may also find these sites helpful to find some reviews: http://www.cruise-reports.com/CruiseLines/Norwegian_Cruise_Line/Norwegian_Cruise_Line.htm

http://cruisecritic.com/

http://cruisemates.com/

I've gone on several Norwegian Cruises. They are pretty nice. I have enjoyed them all. It is a nice moderate budget cruise line. The Hawaii Cruise is also nice. I think that you really enjoy it. I'm not sure when you are planning to go, etc. But I would search online for the ship you are looking at to see what others have said. But again, in my experiece they have been pretty nice.

Hope this helps.
2006-02-23 13:43:27 UTC
We were on the Pride Of Aloha three weeks ago. The ship needed maintenance BAD - cleaning & painting. Most of the crew were new and obviously didn't know their jobs. Some of the public bathrooms reeked of urine, they were very very shorthanded. We often had to wait a long time to get seated in a dining room because half the tables were empty for lack of waiters. We never saw a head waiter. A single person was your bartender, waiter and assistant waiter. Our stateroom was not even made up one day. We often had new cardboard lids placed on dirty glasses in our stateroom. Bar service was spotty. In the bars we would get a drink in anywhere from a few minutes to giving up after 45 minutes. I could go on and on.

This was the eleventh cruise we have been on and we have never encountered anything like this situation.

Now the itinerary is really good. Good stops - Maui, Kauai, Hawaii - both Kona and Hilo & Oahu. NCL is the only game in town unless you want to cross the ocean either coming or going.

One tip if you go you might consider renting a car. Budget picks you up & drops you off at the dock. We saved a lot of money by doing our own tours. Their tours were poor & high priced. We didn't go on their Luau because we had booked our own but everyone that went to it complained about it.
pretty in pink
2006-02-23 14:53:06 UTC
I have been on 5 cruises total: 4 with Norwegian (twice in Alaska, once in Europe, once in the Bahamas) and 1 with Holland America (Alaska).

I absolutely love NCL. The service is excellent, the ships are beautiful, it's just an overall great experience. And you will never have better food in your life!

I was supposed to go to Hawaii on the NCL cruise a couple years ago, but unfortunately a family medical thing came up and we didn't go. But if I ever go to Hawaii, I will definitely sail with NCL again.
shiela37064
2006-02-24 05:20:47 UTC
I'm going April 1 on Pride of America. I've set up shore excursions for 4 stops. Quiet pricey. Now, I see that someone has said to rent a Budget car and tour yourself. Great idea at Maui stop. Its a long stop. I wonder if you need to call ahead to Budget to reserve a car? This is a new ship, so I'm told. I'm sad to say that I booked a Luau through them in Maui. Now, I'm worried that I've spend $400 for 4 people and won't be wowwed by it? What other Luaus are there to check into?