Question:
Moving to Hawaii, what are best places to live?
momee2kaden
2006-03-21 09:19:12 UTC
We are PCSing to Hawaii in Oct '06 and would like to know some of the places to live. We are military so of course we can't afford anything real high. I believe we are moving to the big island so any advice would work! Ive read from others' responses that the racism is bad .... is it really that bad or what? Thanks in advance!
Three answers:
iguessso
2006-03-22 23:30:51 UTC
It's really not *that* bad... if you're white, it's just different being kind of a minority on occasion.

As far as the best place to live on Oahu, well that depends...There's a lot of stations here and it might be really convenient for you to live close to base or on base. If you have a spouse who wants to work, make sure s/he can get a job close to home because traffic s-u-c-k-s!!!!! It might even be good to live IN waikiki or closer to town, where it may be more expensive and farther for you to work, but if a person really dislikes driving it might be good cuz traffic will be going in the opposite direction. (Yes, there's really not much work *out*side of town so the 'against traffic' point is strong.) Also, rush hour is 5:30am--9am and 3:30pm to 7ish so think about where the SPOUSE wants to work. Ewa Beach is the big up-and-coming area and there's houses all around but if a spouse is working a 9-5 job, I'd consider buying in Hawaii Kai, Kaimuki, or Kailua (which is very cool town and it may be less necessary to go to Honolulu every day). These places are a little closer to town than Ewa (far West) and theres lots of beautiful plants and mountains to look at. Ewa Beach/Kunia/Waipahu is probably gonna be cheaper though. Also look at Waikele--it's kind of pretty and there's businesses and it's not too far from most of the bases. Also, if you're thinking of buying, property tax is CRAZY!
2016-05-20 06:25:05 UTC
I don't know why you asked this in the Houston sections but... I was in Hawaii last year and I have to say the best place was Hilo on the Eastern coast of the big island.
greengirl24
2006-03-22 03:35:25 UTC
i don't know i live in new jersey