Question:
What are the "MUST DO" things when visiting Hawaii for the first time... especially the local "Secret spots"
rx4plzur
2006-03-26 19:20:42 UTC
Our family will be visitng there this summer, and want to make the most of it. We enjoy doing all sorts of thigs, and rather than sitting around, we want to SEE what Hawaii really has to off (volcanoes, surfing, natural beauty, etc.)
Seven answers:
navav8r
2006-03-27 20:34:27 UTC
First time visitors to Oahu must see the Arizona Memorial. Get there as early as possible, it's first come first served for the launches (one at a time) after seeing a 30 min movie. Polynesian Cultural Center is on the other side of the island from Honolulu ($18 bus ride)and is an all day event. Waikiki is neat.

On Maui, get a convertable. Driving the road to Hana is not only beautiful but the smells of the fruit and flowers is awesome. Get a map of the road to find the hidden waterfalls all along the way to Hana and the Seven Sacred Pools (Sleepless in Seattle). There is a show in Lahaina called O'lalana that is just incredible about the history of Hawaii. Snorkeling La Perouse Bay, Bike ride down Haleakala (make sure you use an escorted tour), Iao Valley, Hotel lobby and grounds hop (especially the Grand Wailea), and my favorite luau is in Wailea at the Renaissance Resort.
2006-03-27 19:16:20 UTC
When you're in Maui - make sure you do the Road to Hana. It is about a 2.5 - 3 hour curvy scenic drive through the mountains of Maui - you'll see gorgeous waterfalls, roadside food stands, and many more. You can stop at the gas station right before entering the Road to Hana to grab some snacks & sandwiches and also a map that will tell you exactly where to stop along the way to see black sand beaches, caves and so much more. Once you get to the end, you'll stop and swim in the 7 Sacred Pools - absolutely gorgeous.

I suggest to get a convertible for this trip so you can leave the top down and enjoy the weather and it's so much easier to see everything around you.

This is a MUST SEE!
sandislandtim
2006-03-27 17:51:35 UTC
On O'ahu, rather than sitting on the beach with the rest of the tourists, why not hike the trails? There are a couple of good ones in Pearl City - Waimano Trail and Manana Trail. About a mile up the Manana Trail there's a side path to a great swimming hole.

On Maui make sure you drive to the top of Haleakala. The view is stupendous. Also, drive the Hana Highway and visit the beaches when you get to the end of the road.

If you're on the Hilo side of the Big Island, go north to see Akaka Falls - little bit off the beaten path, but worth the drive. Ask any taxi driver in Hilo to take you to the "Rope Swing" - another great swimming hole.
Clankine
2006-03-27 11:37:00 UTC
Hanauma Bay is amazing, bank on at least spending the afternoon there is you like snorkeling. Make sure you check out the different shuttles tho - some will take you for as little as $8 per person, give you your equipment, AND an underwater camera plus bring you back to your hotel (every week on the streets of Honolulu you can pick up different coupon booklets so be sure to look carefully for the best deal on activities) - also be sure to see a luau, we saw the one at Paradise Cove and I really liked it. We also parasailed which was pretty amazing.
bornitalian23
2006-03-26 19:31:24 UTC
Go to Hanauma Bay and snorkel, Pearl Harbor, the North Shore of Oahu, the Bishop Museum, Waiamea Falls, Blow Hole, the "from here to eternity" beach, shop at Ala Moana. All of the beaches on Oahu are pretty much full of Japanese tourists so try to avoid them. You won't find too many "secret spots" on Oahu.
Calina
2006-03-26 19:27:34 UTC
One of my most memorable memories are the cliffs of the North side of Molokai and a helicopter tour on Kauai.
2006-03-26 19:23:50 UTC
Get at least Maui onion while you're there, the best onions in the world, better than vidalia.