Question:
where to live in hawaii-best island and "reasonable" in price/value.?
buddafull54
2006-01-25 19:55:11 UTC
i live i new hampsire. would like (i think) to live, in the next couple of years in hawaii. would consider a house trade, for a winter season, if there's a closet skier, as i live in the white mountains, and have three major ski areas within 15 minutes of my house.

what are the drawbacks of living in hawaii? if YOU had it to do over would you choose a different place, or island to live in. what makes it livable, what makes it difficult.

i'm a jeweler by trade, and would like to live modestly but in a nice neighborhood. i do (in a perfect world) love to garden, and obviously love the ocean...love to fish and snorkel. my home here is worth about 300k and i dont think i want to spend much more than that, as i may or may not work.

what do you think? by the way, new hamshire is ranked 1st in livibility...and hawaii 32nd. go figure! thanks
Two answers:
pink_lemonade
2006-02-20 13:36:58 UTC
I've been living in oahu, hawaii for about a year, and I totally dislike this place. I regret that I moved here and I'm hoping to move out of hawaii in the near future. Hawaii is such a beautiful place. And I know there are lots of people who think of moving to Hawaii. But visiting and living is different. Hawaii is an amazing place for holiday, but not a place to live, especially for people who were born and raised outside Hawaii. I feel such an isolation from outside world since I came here. People come to Hawaii on vacation, to escape from their real life for a while. They can escape from the reality because hawaii is such an isolated island. Plus, I dunno, for me, I'm quite bored in Hawaii. I think I feel this way because I used to live in a big city. But there's really not much to do in Hawaii other than going to the beach. Not many place to shop for non-tourists. I think you will have enough of Hawaii in less than half a year. And as somebody said above, there are racial issues going on in hawaii even now specifically between Maolis and Haolis. People don't have the true aloha spirit anymore. And I've heard of caucasians who had a bad experience in Hawaii. It depends on person to person but it's kinda uncomfortable for me.

Well if you are a beach person or surfer, yeah you might really enjoy living in Hawaii though.
whoknows
2006-01-26 04:45:21 UTC
If you are white, don't move here, trust me. They hate white people here. Visit = O.K. Live = Racism